Thursday, January 21, 2010

~ Udon West in NYC East Village ~

We got to Ippudo around 3pm and they were so full that they weren't even taking names till they open again at 5pm. We were starving so we headed into Jtown only to find that a lot of places are closed and doesn't open till 5pm. After a brief debate, we decided to go into the place that has the most people. Can't go wrong if there are already a lot of people there right?


I wasn't so sure about this place because it looks like a hole in the wall. And it's so very small. It's very narrow, with only 2 tables. Most people were sitting at the bar and you have to get your own water. But, I heard a lot of people speaking Japanese there. That's an awesome sign! If the Japanese eat there, it must be authentic!

We had to wait about 15 minutes and finally, we sat down at one of the tables and opened the simple menu. The udon all look so good! Basically you get a soup base and you can add toppings like eggs, seaweed, and tempura.


They also have sets that contains rice and udon.


I felt like some Japanese curry so I got the curry and udon set.


Doesn't look like curry though, but it tasted good! A little on the salty side. The red stuff is like pickled cabbage, which I didn't like. But, I don't eat pickled cabbage in general. I loved the rice though! It was so soft and a little bit bouncy.


The udon noodles are amazing! They are just so ... bouncy! I don't know how else to describe it.


My friend got the tempura udon. Looks so good! I love the lighting there. Finally, a restaurant that has bright enough lights for pictures!



I...forgot what soup base this was. But that's egg and seaweed on top.


Overall, I like it! The service was decent. Don't expect any perkiness from the waitress. But, the food came out super fast! That worked out very well for us since we were starving. It also look like they have good deals with Happy Hour for drinks. Check it out if you are looking for a good, good, quick meal. 3.5 stars on Yelp by the way. Here's the info:
11 Saint Marks Place, New York, NY 10003-7806
(212) 353-3888

1 comment:

Beth said...

Your posts make me hungry. And it's 8am here. Yum!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin