Saturday, June 13, 2009

~ My Very Own Chain Stand ~

A while ago, I browsing through stores and came across a Chain Sta. It looks like this:


Wow! I want one! It would help me so much when I make necklaces and bracelets, even long dangly earrings! For example, when I make Stardust and Moondust bracelets, I have to make sure that they are hanging from the same side of the chain.


Same with the Sakura Mist earrings.


I read the reviews for the Chain Sta and people said that it tips over a lot. That's not good. So, I talked to my dad and after some discussion, we came up with a design.


Please excuse the messy table. We made it so that it can be clip to the table. It will never tip over. The two poles look like huge screws. I forgot what they are called, but we got them at home depot for $3. We screwed on the washer and the thing that looks like wings (ok, can you tell I don't know what those things are? Good thing my dad knows. >.< ). So, the height is totally adustable. Here's a close up of the pole and hook. The hook is a nail. It is a little thick for small chains. So, I put smaller hook on it. It was a scrap piece of sterling silver from when I messed up some wirewrapping.

The base is totally my dad's idea. I guess I can put beads in the groove. And it's heavy enough to be used without the clip. I just like the clip because I know I will just knock it over.


Using this thing, it's much easier for me to quickly place beads in to see what they look like and easier to attach the beads on the right side of the chain. I love it. I love my dad for turning ideas into reality!

The chain sta is $20. I spent $3 on the poles and washers. My dad just happened to have the clips, the scrap wood, scrap metal pieces and nails hanging around. So, the grand total for this awesome chain stand? $3!!

See what you have lying around in your house. Maybe you can come up with your own version. Feel free to contact me if you need help making one!

6 comments:

Kim Caro said...

neat chain stand! if you want a banner just email me at circlesareforever@yahoo.com so we can discuss everything :)

The Beading Gem said...

Excellent DIY project and very inspiring. I use a small stand with two crocodile clips at the end of a bar.

Fashionably Adorned said...

This is a great idea.. I'm constantly holding up the chain and counting, fliping gems onto the right side of the chain.. ugg, maybe that's why I don't make jewels like that much anymore!! I will have to make me one of these! thanks for sharing :)

Unknown said...

Ooo, great DIY project! I love it when you can make something super useful yourself instead of buying it. And it's even better when it's super cheap! :D Great job!

Adrienne Jewelry Designs said...

Wow! This is a great idea. I was just looking at the plastic one today and thought it would be too flimsy for me :) My husband came home and I hit him up to build one for me that would adjustable. I just happened to Google "How do I make..." and your Blog popped up. Serendipity! My husband got some great ideas and is already working on building one for me :) Thanks! Oh...you make beautiful jewelry and your blog is just lovely!

Adrienne Jewelry Designs said...

Wow! This is a great idea. I was just looking at the plastic one today and thought it would be too flimsy for me :) My husband came home and I hit him up to build one for me that would adjustable. I just happened to Google "How do I make..." and your Blog popped up. Serendipity! My husband got some great ideas and is already working on building one for me :) Thanks! Oh...you make beautiful jewelry and your blog is just lovely!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin