Saturday, May 1, 2010

~ Homemade Sushi Night ~

I used make sushi a lot. It's easy and it's fun to have your friends come over and hang out and make food together. But, it's been a while since I made sushi. Too much stuff going on and this and that but no more excuses! Tonight, we made sushi! Here are our ingredients: cucumbers, avocado, crab sticks, spicy smoked salmon, arctic surf clams, roasted eel, egg, and masago.


I don't remember having these arctic surf clams before. I see the commercials on Chinese TV channel a lot so I got some to try it. It was pretty good. It's a bit chewy though. I have a few of these left, so I have to make it for something later. I couldn't find any recipes though. Let me know if you have suggestions.


When I went to Hong Kong, I got these little things to help shape the rice into stars, hearts and balls. It's fun, but it takes a lot of rice. I had 1 star, 2 balls and 2 hand rolls and I was feeling pretty full.


Check out the first attempt with the star. Not bad :)


I like this one more though. My friend made it. Did you know that they have seaweed punchers like those craft hole punchers? Yes, you can make star and heart shape seaweed to decorate your star and heart shape rice balls.


This is my super rice ball! These are so easy to make with the mold. I love them. If you place the seaweed right, you can make eyeballs, soccer balls and more!


We used to make a lot of rolls, but this time we were all hungry so we just made hand rolls. But, we did make some rolls eventually. This was supposed to be a heart. But, someone wasn't strong enough to shape it correctly.


Now, this is more like it!


Aren't these cute? The orange stuff is spicy salmon. It's just smoked salmon, Japanese mayo and Srichacha hot sauce. This recipe is one of the best thing I learned in college.


This is all so healthy. Well, except for the mayo. That's like the fattiest mayo, but it's so good! Can't wait till the next sushi night!

2 comments:

Kittin said...

yum yum yum, looks so good. the rice balls look really interesting... i should get some next time i go to hk...

Sadao said...

From the pictures, I can easily tell you had a lot of fun.
The heart-shaped sushi looks great!
The soccer ball sushi is pretty unique!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin