Wednesday, March 24, 2010

~ Super Easy Mapo Tofu ~

I cheat a lot when I cook. I buy the Lee Kum Gee from the local Chinese grocery store, the ingredients and just mix it in the pot. One of the sauces I like is Mapo tofu. All you need are a little less than a pound of ground pork and a carton of tofu and a packet of the sauce.


You can use firm or soft tofu. To me, when they are cut into little bites and drenched in a strong tasting sauce, it really doesn't matter what kind of tofu you use. I use firm because I felt like it. Soft is definitely softer and silkier, but it falls apart so easily. It makes the dish more watery because pieces of the tofu will be crushed as you cook it.


The steps are fairly simple so I am just going to list them here.
  1. Cut the tofu in little cubes
  2. Heat up the wok or pan
  3. Put a little bit of oil in
  4. Throw in the pork and mix it around every 30 secs or so.
  5. When the pork is almost cooked, throw in the tofu.
  6. Then throw in the sauce.
  7. Mix it for a little bit. Make sure all the pork looks brown (cooked).
  8. Put it in a bowl. Put a serving spoon in.
Simple right?? It doesn't take long at all. You can marinate the pork for a few minutes if you want. I feel like it adds to the taste a little bit. But, that's not necessary. The Lee Kum Kee sauce is pretty strong already. It's not that spicy though. It's only like $0.80! You can also buy it as a jar if you use it often.

Look, I made a 3 course meal tonight with soup! All in 75 minutes! I think I am getting the hang of this housewife business :D

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin